Friday, May 31, 2013

My Favorite Beetle


My Favorite Beetle 
Oil - 6 X 6

Growing up in Detroit, I was confused by the lack of consensus as to what "Up North" meant.  In our blue collar neighborhood, Up North meant anything north of Grand Rapids.  To others, its literal meaning was Michigan's upper peninsula.

I spent many happy weekends as a teenager driving about 250 miles Up North to Traverse City  (almost the UP)  with my cousin in his yellow VW.   A thermos full of coffee, homemade baloney sandwiches on Wonder bread (yuck), and a very loud radio made the four hour trip effortless.

Gas was cheap and lodging was free (we slept and ate at my aunt's house).   Life was good.


2 comments:

  1. Love this! Did you ever go any where near Roscommon, MI?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roscommon is either Up North or on the way Up North, depending on who you ask. I've passed it a million times on the way to Traverse City & on the way to Mackinac (pronounced Mackinaw) Island, but never stopped there. I know it's really pretty country, though.

    ReplyDelete