Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Plein Air - 1

Yup, we did finally did it.  We ventured outside to paint yesterday.   Of course, we were in the best of company with professional artist Joanne Kollman, whom we met at Alla Prima Portland.

On Joanne's advice, we headed out SE Laurelhurst Park.  It was a little overcast, but the temperature was comfortable and the park wasn't very crowded.

Joanne & Tim (with his favorite hat)

Joanne's idea - great choice

We each did a few paintings.  I put the first painting aside for an hour or so and started a second so as to avoid my tendency to "beat it to death."


The most curious onlookers were dogs, squirrels (to the delight of the dogs), and ducks.

I don't think I've ever seen a beige and white duck before.

Then, before we were finished, the inevitable happened; it started to rain.

As we packed up, I realized what the advantage of having a panel holder might be and mentally put it on the shopping list.  I don't know if the rain had anything to do with it, but this is what happened to one of my half baked paintings.

Half-baked

Regular oils, as opposed to water-soluble oils, were used.  I hadn't really started building it up; the block-in was still pretty thin.  I'll take it in to Alla Prima Portland on Thursday morning and see what the experts have to say.

Unless the stormy forecast changes, we'll be painting outside on Sauvie Island later this afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. Happy accidents! aka: Help from some other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy accident! aka: direction from some other.

    ReplyDelete