Tuesday, December 3, 2013

What Shall I Paint Today?

 Oil - 6 X 6

When I feel like painting but don't know what to paint, I've learned to start painting in a series.  I think its great to focus on one subject or theme and do several paintings of that subject.   Some really prolific artists have even had a couple of series going at the same time.

This is the beginning of a series of paintings of women; not necessarily "femme fatales,"  but those that have kind of an elegance or mystery about them.  I'm keeping them small for now so I can explore crops and color and then will grid them up to larger pieces. 

For those of us who are all over the place with artwork, this is a great way to get a cohesive body of work.  But, as importantly,  the "What shall I paint today?" blues will become a thing of the past.

2 comments:

  1. Love this painting and the idea of painting in a series ... I am all over the place because I like different subjects. I have actually started a couple of big ones..and hope to follow with more. Not really a series but mainly exploring whites. Great to see your work again and I love your wreaths too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Karen. I love the idea of exploring whites. Bet you're coming up with some really great ideas.

    ReplyDelete