Sunday, October 19, 2014

Portland Open Studios

It's that time of the year again here in Portland when you're able to visit the studios of artists whose work you really admire.  Tim and I have only been able to enjoy the last day of the four day studio tours, but we saved the best of the best for today.

If I had to name a favorite artist, it would be Oregon artist Randall David Tipton.  I know I have stalked Randall's blog for at least four years because it was four years ago, on a family vacation, when I walked into the White Bird Gallery in Cannon Beach and stopped dead in my tracks at the sight of one of his paintings.  And this was a few months after I had discovered him on dailypainters.



Size 40X60 - Oil      One of Randall's amazing paintings!

For me, meeting Randall was more exciting than meeting Brad Pitt (although, in fairness,  I have yet to meet Brad Pitt).    I imagined Randall to be warm and friendly and he did not disappoint.  Needless to say, his artwork left me speechless.


From there, we went to the studio of Beth Yazhari.  She is a wildly talented, very creative fiber artist  who makes pieces with the intention of honoring the handiwork of past generations of ordinary women.   Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of her studio, but I invite you to look at her beautiful work on her website (click on her name).


Next, we visited the studio of Sara Swink.

 
 Sara is a ceramic artist whose work is just so unique.  Recently, she was interviewed on a local TV show, Oregon Art Beat.  If you have about seven minutes, be sure to watch the link to this wonderful video featuring Sara and her art.


Finally, we stopped by the studio of Theresa Andreas-O'Leary


I took a few photos in her studio, but none do her artwork justice.  Theresa's artwork absolutely glows!  And so does Theresa when she talks about being an artist.  Her passion about art is so contagious I actually got out my sketchbook this evening!  Check out her work by clicking on her name above.

So, there you have it - four great hours with four great artists.  It doesn't get much better than that!


10 comments:

  1. Have to admit that I really like Randall's work too. Hadn't heard of him before but wow! He's a handsome one too, no? Have been to Cannon Beach and love it there. A great spot for a studio! I'd also be drawn to the other two artists as well. Amazing what people can do! Thanks for sharing, Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting artists'studio is always such a great moment ! Thanks to share

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a thoughtful blog posting. I will revisit for sure. And your paintings are lovely. Unique process that I will enjoy watching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments, Sherry. Yes, they were all pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Martine. It was a really great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for looking and thank you for your kind comments, Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a treat! I felt like I was there! Your writing and pics did a great job of creating a wonderful glimpse of the tour! So thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the great comments, Kaethe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chris, I can`t believe I didn`t thank you for this kind, enthusiastic account. Thank you! You and Tim were really fun and are welcome in my studio ANY time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. No, no, Randall. You offered a very gracious thank you in October. We were thrilled to have seen your spectacular work during the tour, and look forward to a studio visit during one of your demos!!

    ReplyDelete