Friday, February 6, 2015

Alphabetica Batik

Love this book!

When I started painting almost 15 years ago, I fell in love with watercolor, and was later introduced to watercolor batik by Michigan artist Shirl Hathaway.   I painted with Shirl for a long time because she was such an awesome teacher.

After that,  I took a mixed media class.  The class was fun, but I admit I was so intimidated by painting with accomplished artists that I didn't try to get out of my comfort zone.  Big mistake.

 Then,  I discovered how much fun it was painting in oils.  Then I learned how to paint with a palette knife.  Then I started doing watercolor batiks again...

 I'm only human, so I now I've picked up this great book at our local library for something to feast my eyes upon in the evenings.

   Back to mixed media?   I think not.  I'm just so in love with batiks.

What this book has provided me with, though,  is the idea for a next series of paintings.  It will be called  "Alphabetica Batik."   For example, the title for the first painting will be, "A"is for _______,   sort of like Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone mystery series titles:  "A" is for Alibi; "B" is for Burglar; "C" is for Corpse,  only on a lighter note.

I'm still busy doing family commissions, but am hoping to squeeze in a few Alphabetica pieces here and there.  But I'm thinking "A" will be for American because I'm so proud to be one.

15 comments:

  1. What a great idea, Chris! (It would be perfect for the next 30/30 challenge ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this idea and look forward to seeing the new works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do so love your batiks but then again you are good at whatever you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Martine! Why didn't I think to use it for the 30-30? That's okay. Maybe someone else can...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Rolina. "S" is for Scotland?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Kelly, but I just don't post the crappy ones (except during the 30-30 Challenge).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chris, your work just truly inspires me. I love your idea here too. Can't wait to see that alphabet art unfurl. Love the elephant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE your work with batiks...
    and A would be my first choice because I'm so proud to be an American as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Chris! I see you've got your work cut out for you. I 'm a great fan of Sue Grafton also, this is gonna be very interesting to watch. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds really cool, Chris...I love reading your blogs! I'm going to check out this book. And I agree with Kelly- everything you do is awesome. Maybe you could do "L" for Laurie haha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Laurie! I might have to buy that book. And the "L" might just surprise you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So I have been waiting...love the idea and know it is worth waiting for

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Julie. I've been busy with a commission. Hope to start Monday or Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete