Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Around the House

Cilantro, Oregano


Sunflower nursery
Raised bed with snow peas, radishes, spinach & kale
Right outside the window
The rhododendrons in our front yard are next to bloom.


The sky is blue, the sun is shining, and the plants are happy here in the Pacific Northwest.

We moved to Oregon from Michigan in June, 2012 and have enjoyed mild green winters and long growing seasons.  

It's the perfect spot to nest and get dirt under my fingernails.  I've even had dirt under my toenails, but that's kind of gross.  I probably shouldn't have mentioned that.

This year, my goal in the garden is to make it more edible and more"artsy."  I've been scouring do-it-yourself garden decor articles to find some projects to do on a budget. 

Our backyard is really small, and our dog Cobie has claimed one of the raised beds as his personal outdoor lounge area.  That's okay; I've got the plans for vertical plantings and container gardens.

So, I'm hoping for an abundant imperfect organic backyard with some handmade pieces of garden art.   It won't make it to the garden tour, but I hope it will be a great place to unwind.




18 comments:

  1. When I lived in WA (near Tacoma), everyone was always talking about their rhodies. I love those pink flowers outside your window. What are they? I wish I could pick up and move back there myself. I miss it so very much and the weather was perfect for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I see color Chris!! We're expecting snow tomorrow! Not happy but hopefully it will start to warm up soon! Beautiful photography!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the weather here, too, Sherry. Those flowers outside the window - I don't know what they are. They were here when we moved in. I'll take a small snippet with me next time I go to the nursery and let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hilda, hope Spring is right around the corner for you! We have a long springtime and long autumn; short summers and winters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden is already beautiful, and I can't wait to see your creativity unleashed on it. Hmmmmmm.......I think I'll plan to hitchhike there from Detroit. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laurie, you're not allowed to hitchhike anymore. I'll come and get you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky you with flowers blooming already! Here in Colorado we are still getting snow. I miss the mild weather of Louisiana.

    The pink flowers in your first photo of the bush are azaleas.

    Your photo labeled "outside my window" are camellias. There are many varieties of camellias and we had these outside our window in Louisiana. They look especially nice if you clip a bloom with couple of leaves and float it in a bowl of water.

    Chris, I love your batiks. I've been painting batiks for the last couple of years and just love this process. I look forward to seeing every one of your new creations. t
    Thanks for sharing.

    myrapatinart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the info on the flowers. My knowledge is really limited. And I have the perfect bowl for the camellias.

    Myra, your batiks are beautiful! They are so much fun to do. I get frenzied on them sometimes, but then life steps in. I finally accept I'm not a daily painter - more of a "in spurt" painter.

    Looking forward to seeing more of your batiks, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nice and relaxing post. Enjoyed seeing the flowers very much - and the your preparations for the summer.
    Laughed at the dog claiming his spot! Gotta love him!
    Keep finding joy in that magic dirt.


    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Julie. The dog lives here, too. And you're right. When those veggies and flowers grow, it is like magic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish we had your weather! We had snow all day here in PA! It was pretty, though. Your garden was such a delight to take in = ) Thanks...You made my DAY, Chris!

    ReplyDelete

  12. I love your work Chris! Your garden looks wonderful too. Your husband did a good think encouraging you on your path as an artist!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, no, Sue. More snow? I'm sure you're tired of it, but I kind of miss it. I'm from Detroit and our family back there got walloped, too.
    Glad you like the garden. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much, Norma! I'll tell Tim you said that...

    ReplyDelete
  15. You already have a beautiful garden Chris. Enjoy! Thanks for sharing these precious pics with us.

    ReplyDelete