Saturday, April 11, 2015

Atelier Tipton


While living in Michigan, I discovered the work of Oregon artist Randall David Tipton on DailyPainters.com.  I became captivated by his contemporary portrayal of the wetlands and rainforests of northwest Oregon.    Surely this area of the country could not be as beautiful as Randall depicted...  

Oregon Estuary Rainforest 2 - 40X60  -  Artist:  RANDALL DAVID TIPTON

Fast forward to Spring 2010 when we flew into Portland.  After having looked at different possible relocation areas around the country, Tim and I were hoping the Pacific Northwest would feel like home.  It did - immediately.

 From Portland, we headed down the Oregon coast.
 
Over the Sea 21 - Artist:  RANDALL DAVID TIPTON

Imagine my surprise when we walked into the White Bird Gallery in Cannon Beach and saw Randall Tipton's artwork hanging on the wall!

Rainforest Morning - 14X11 - Artist:  RANDALL DAVID TIPTON

In 2012, we finally moved to Oregon.   It was easy becoming immersed into the art community in Portland because everyone here was so welcoming.  I kept wondering, though,  how I could see more of Randall's work up close and personal.

Headwaters - 6 X 15 - Artist: RANDALL DAVID TIPTON


The following year, I learned Randall was participating in the Portland Open Studios Tour.  I blush when I say I visited his studio twice.

Oswego Creek - 36X60 - Artist:  RANDALL DAVID TIPTON

Last year, Randall's home studio was on the tour again.  This time I mustered up the courage to talk to him.  What a gracious, generous host!

Falls Creek Falls - 12X36 - Artist:  RANDALL DAVID TIPTON

Randall currently opens his workspace to the public once a month where he provides a dazzling demo.

And although I haven't had the chance to paint too often these past few weeks, our visit to Randall's home studio this morning more than made up for it.  

Today, Randall demonstrated watermedia on watercolor paper to a standing-room-only crowd.

This small sketch of some trees on Sauvie Island inspired the demo painting.






The finished version is on Randall's blog:  http://randalldavidtipton.blogspot.com/2015/04/demo-sauvie-island-sketches-affordable.html






Oregon Coastal Bog - 12X42 - Artist:  RANDALL DAVID TIPTON

To the best of my knowledge, all of the paintings shown here are available for purchase through
Randall's studio.  (I have my eye on one!)

To see more of his work, check out Randall's website:  randalldavidtipton.com.  He's got a wonderful blog, too!


29 comments:

  1. Thank you Chris for this wonderful visit of an artist's studio.

    Hope to see soon a new watercolor from you !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, I'm now following you on your blog. Where in Michigan did you live? I'm from there, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Martine. I really do want to do a watercolor now. Randall Tipton is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Carol. I was born and raised in Detroit (lived there about 40 years), then moved to a suburb called Sterling Heights. Moved to Oregon from there.

    Where in Michigan did you live?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Chris,

    What a great post and such lovely paintings by this artist. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Chris, thanks! I wondered what you would do with all those pictures you took, here they are! I liked having you andTim in the room, thanks for coming! RT

    ReplyDelete
  8. What gorgeous works, Chris! I can see why you are so taken with his paintings. They really are beautiful and might I add that he looks a little bit like Lloyd Bridges?! I so wish I could pack up and move to OR myself. I'd need a job and a place to live though...

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a treat Chris! Thanks for sharing all these beautiful pictures and the paintings look fabulous. Are they mostly water paintings? Some look like acrylics...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great blog post Chris! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just checked out Randall's blog and it's great! Wish I could add it to my Google list to follow-that's the only way I can keep track. I tried Feedly but haven't got the "feed" of it yet...

    ReplyDelete
  12. An excellent post Chris. Randall's work is amazing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, Linda. Randall's work is really a feast for the eyes. His paintings absolutely glow!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know I took lots of pictures, Randall. Wish I could post them all, but I didn't want to seem like I was gushing. We loved the demo! Thank YOU for sharing your thoughts and techniques!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Sherry. His paintings look even better in person. I guess Randall does look a bit like a younger version of Lloyd Bridges. And he looks better in person, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Helen. Randall uses both watercolor and acrylics - sometimes in the same painting. You have a good eye.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, Melle. I'm kind of computer challenged. I follow him but don't remember how I did it. Randall usually posts a couple of times a week. His artwork knocks my socks off and his posts are really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you, Hilda. He's an amazing artist and doesn't hesitate to share any of his techniques - no secrets (like we're gonna paint like him anyway).

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love all those photos you have of Randall Tipton's demo yesterday. Thanks so much for posting. I have heard of him, but didn't realize he was based in Portland. Does he do all watercolor?
    On another note, I am going to be visiting my sister in Portland in June. Are you a plein air painter?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my, what a truly gifted artist Randall Tipton is .. I am glad you shared his work ...thank you!
    I so enjoyed seeing all of these wonderful works of art!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks, Teri. Randall does oil as well - big and small, equally beautiful.
    No, I haven't been plein air painting for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks, Margie. His work is even more beautiful in person.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Chris- wonderful post. Mr. Tipton' s work is gorgeous. I am sure you enjoyed seeing him work. I have always heard that your part of the world is lovely. Looks like it is when you see art that tries to capture that beauty. Thanks for sharing. I so enjoyed seeing everything. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you, Debbie. It is really gorgeous in the Pacific Northwest. I'm thankful I live here.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Life is weird. Our son and family lived by Lake Oswego and I would visit twice a year...this was before I knew about Randall. I adore his work and get the sense he is a very special person too.. Would be great to see him with a studio visit.
    Our son has now moved California so no more trips to beautiful Portland. rats!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, Julie - small world. No more trips to Portland, but I bet you're loving those visits to California! My brother lives in southern California - sunny and 72 degrees pretty much year round as he likes to remind me.

    ReplyDelete