Tuesday, April 28, 2015

L is for Laurie Mueller

Michigan artist Laurie Mueller is one of the painters with whom I took a Carol Marine workshop outside of Chicago a few years ago.  About six of us have remained in close contact, and our friendship has deepened.

Laurie's style is uniquely her own.  Her use of color and the resulting luminosity in her paintings has consistently stopped me in my tracks.  Her paintings are so exciting that I thought I would do a batik using "Laurie" colors for the "L" post.

   My husband set me straight, though, and reminded me that only Laurie could paint like Laurie.

Here's a sampling of Ms. Mueller's beautiful work:  http://www.dailypaintworks.com/artists/laurie-mueller-4045/artwork.

So, ... what could I paint that reminded me of Laurie and began with an L?

Lemon in Rice Bowl - Watercolor Batik on Rice Paper - 8X10; painted from reference by photographer Lillian Bell  (Boy, I'm having trouble color correcting this one...)
Laurie will laugh that I have associated her name with a lemon.

  But let me assure you, Laurie, the lemon represents everything you are - happiness, fun, and pure sunshine!



25 comments:

  1. Lovely work, Chris! That batik technique is really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous painting, Chris !

    Your friend must be full of bubbling energy!

    Lemons, yellow and blue are such a good combination: a bit of sea, a bit of sun and the taste of Méditerranée!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely, Chris! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Judy! Batiks are fun to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Appreciate it, Martine! Laurie does have lots of energy. And she always seems to have a smile on her face!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the lovely comment, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another beautiful painting. The colors in this one are classic and gorgeous!
    Thanks for the heads up about your friend's work. Love her colors especially.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is gorgeous!!! Chris, I'm just noticing something with the masa paper. Apparently you CAN paint on it like a regular painting, yes? Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nice compliment to say about a friend and well deserved , no doubt! You've done a fine job with this L thing. A beautiful approach to a simple subject. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Chris
    I took a look at your friend Laurie's art and it is beautiful and the painting you have shared here is also beautiful ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your lemon is lovely and I love the texture of the paper.

    Laurie's work is excellent (and my, she is prolific)!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Julie. I'm glad you like Laurie's work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG, Chris, you made me feel like a movie star or something. I love being compared to anything you create! And many of these comments here are familiar names and I appreciate their comments as well. It is amazing to me how these workshops can start such awesome friendships. I can't wait until our next one. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet your stats went through the roof!! ;)

      Delete
  15. Thanks, Sherry. Yes, you can paint on masa paper like a regular painting. Here's a nice tutorial:
    https://lesliepaints.wordpress.com/2011/02/27/masa-paper-step-by-step-and-clyde/ (The comments section does not let me directly link to a site. You'll have to type it out on your computer.) Good luck with it. I've got some lying around - will probably use it during the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, Margie, for looking and taking the time to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, Rolina. Yes, Laurie is really prolific. And she teaches. Unfortunately, she lives on the other side of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My pleasure, Laurie. You are a star!
    Can't wait to see you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely work Chris! Beautiful combination of blue and yellow:) Always follow Laurie's work as well... love her colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous still life Chris! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks, Karen. Laurie's work is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you, Hilda. Appreciate your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! Not surprised it's sold already! Great great work!

    ReplyDelete