Friday, May 8, 2015

Frugal Friday in the Garden



Garden projects have been set on the back burner (busy week), but I did manage to get supplies for

HYPERTUFA!

What is hypertufa?
 Well, did you like making mud pies when you were little?   If so, you'll love this.

Hypertufa means artificial stone.  The recipe for hypertufa is used to make a variety of garden objects like plant containers, stepping stones, and accents such as spheres, lanterns, toad houses, masks, mushrooms, and bird feeders.

 Traditional cement objects cost BIG bucks at the garden store, but you can make them yourself for just a few dollars.   The homemade objects are also very lightweight because the cement used in the recipe is mixed with peat and perlite (or vermiculite).

The ingredients for my hypertufa projects were purchased at Home Depot.  Here is the price breakdown:

Portland cement - $9.45 for 94 pounds
This is the only size they had.  I think it will last forever.




Peat Moss -  $4.97 for 8 quarts
I don't know why I bought this brand.  It has plant food in it...




Perlite- $4.97 for 8 quarts
This also has plant food in it.  What was I thinking?  Although a better choice would be buying it without plant food (obviously),  my husband assures me this will work just fine.




The molds that are needed to hold the hypertufa mixture can be found around the house -
plastic containers of any shape from the garden and kitchen, for example.    Cardboard or wooden boxes can also be used.

I'll post the recipe and step by step photos next Friday.  Wish me luck.


In the meantime, our little seedlings are doing great, the tomato plants are ready to get tucked into their permanent homes, and the rhododendrons are still in bloom.




All's right with the garden world.




9 comments:

  1. I have to admit that although I love gardens I have never done any gardening. Why? Because I have never had a garden. I love to see the gardens of others who do have one, though, and I enjoy seeing them and the lovely fragrance of the blooms. Thanks so much for sharing, Chris. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you decide to give it a try someday, Linda. It's really rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to getting my hands dirty after reading your post Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait, Hilda! The downside is the weight of the dry cement. A nice young store employee lifted the cement into my car. I used a makeshift ramp to slide it down onto the garage floor when I got home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see what you do with this recipe.Love the fabulous flower photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Mary. I can't wait to see what I do with it either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those white & pink flowers are just beautiful. What are they? Are those from your garden Hypertufa sounds like great fun. Once I finish weeding and mulching I hope to give it a try. Wait---is gardening and weeding ever done?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those white & pink flowers are just beautiful. What are they? Are those from your garden Hypertufa sounds like great fun. Once I finish weeding and mulching I hope to give it a try. Wait---is gardening and weeding ever done?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those white & pink flowers are just beautiful. What are they? Are those from your garden Hypertufa sounds like great fun. Once I finish weeding and mulching I hope to give it a try. Wait---is gardening and weeding ever done?

    ReplyDelete