Monday, May 11, 2015

N is for Nostalgia (Part 2)


Watercolor Batik on Rice Paper - 8X10


Memories of trains - there are two for me.

The first is of a sweltering, humid night in Detroit.  I was a little girl lying in bed with the windows open.  It was so hot I didn't want to move.

What made the evening bearable was the eerie whistle of a distant train.  It took me to another world.


The next memory of a train was a happy one.  I was about 13 years old, and was one of the few girls on a train bound for Montreal, Quebec with my older brother's hockey team.  Unfortunately, my dad was also there.

But what I remember most about the journey on that snowy night was the noise of the train, the laughter of my brother and his friends, and a nearby radio playing Simon and Garfunkel's song,   "I Am a Rock.  I Am an Island."




Whether I hear a lonely train whistle or that old song,  I'm back in the past romancing the 60's.





8 comments:

  1. Wonderful train and beautiful memories. We have tracks near us but we only hear it when the atmosphere is so so. Something about it makes the train really loud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, what a beautiful train! You have brought back some great memories for me, and I love "I am a Rock"! Thank you so much for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kelly. Wow - that's bizarre about hearing the train.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Linda. I love that song, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful watercolor of this train, Chris, with wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Chris - I have always loved the sound of a train. My grandma and grandpa lived near rail road tracks and the sound of a train at night still reminds me of those sweet memories.
    Wonderful old song too. Your painting is super. I really enjoy seeing your art. Take care and thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The idea of a train in batik. Oh NO i don't think so. WOW!!D i Love it. Just when I think I couldn't be more impressed... geeeeeezzz you totally amaze me - time and time again - with your new artwork!. You are not just a great artist but a great writer too - you have an warm and comforting artistic writing style . Thank you so much for sharing. I love reading your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The idea of a train in batik. Oh NO i don't think so. WOW!!D i Love it. Just when I think I couldn't be more impressed... geeeeeezzz you totally amaze me - time and time again - with your new artwork!. You are not just a great artist but a great writer too - you have an warm and comforting artistic writing style . Thank you so much for sharing. I love reading your stories.

    ReplyDelete