Friday, June 19, 2015

T is for Tiger

Both Unfinished
Watercolor Batiks - 12 X 16


The bad news is they're both unfinished.  The good news is that after seeing them together, I now know what to do with the lion.  Hope to get them mounted onto watercolor paper and matted this weekend.
 ...


When I lived in Michigan, Tim and I met Helen Cartmell,  an artist who became a dear friend and mentor.  Helen is the person who told me to turn unfinished or problem paintings towards the wall.  In fact, she often had five or six paintings facing her studio walls.

Doing this, she said, not only made for better paintings, but helped her be more prolific since she didn't sit around and agonize over one piece of artwork.  And that would be me, getting all immobilized over one painting.

I think I'll rack Tim's brain and jot down some of her excellent advice in a blog post.   Hope to share our "Helen-isms" next week.



20 comments:

  1. They are both beautiful, Chris! My favourite is the tiger. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are both very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, thank you for going to my blog to comment so I could return the favor. It's nice to make your acquaintance and see your lovely work!

    I so agree about turning paintings to the wall awhile. It's good to give oneself a fresh look later when something is not working the way you know it should.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to make your acquaintance, too, Diana. Looking forward to seeing more of your beautiful artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad you now know what to do with the lion :)

    I do the same with work that isn't just not going the way I want, put it away and then come back to it a few days, sometimes a few weeks :p later and often that helps a lo

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so talented and these are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are super talented. I love, love, love your work... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unfinished?? really? I love them as they are.....wonderful drawing, texture and color!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Jennifer. I got some good advice there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Mary. Just a few tweaks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are lovely! Excited to see them when you finish. I'm loving giving my paintings a chance to rest rather than just plowing through to the end. I'm embarrassed to say that I'm just now realizing that you have a blog. Excited to read more! And love the pic of you and your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love both of these. Will be looking forward to seeing the finish. Have a super day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw, thanks, Kali. More and more, I'm letting mine rest, too.

    ReplyDelete