Wednesday, July 1, 2015

U is for Unreasonable Watercolor Batik

Watercolor Batik on Rice Paper - 8X10


The beauty of doing a piece of artwork you don't like is having the option to crop it.   Our friend and mentor Helen once scolded me for being too quick to discard a failed painting.  She then demonstrated how to remove an oil painting from stretcher bars, cut the canvas, and restretch onto smaller bars with a more pleasing crop.

Of course, cropping is a bit easier when a drawing, watercolor batik or a painting is on paper.   Today's batik was originally 12X16.  It was the second attempt at doing this dog and I messed up the left side of his face.   Since I wasn't up to the challenge of attempting number three, I cropped His Unreasonableness.  Well, don't tell Helen, but I still really don't like it.

Tomorrow is a another day.


14 comments:

  1. I find it sweet and heartwarming, dear Chris, and I do like it! :)
    Thank you so much for your kind comments on my blog posts, and your comment on my today's blog post made me very happy...you said that you were laughing whilst watching a cat video I had posted and your husband asked you, "What does Linda have for us today?" I am so happy to know that you both enjoy my posts. Thank you so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonjour chère amie,

    Je pense que nous apprenons beaucoup en faisant des erreurs... J'aime le regard de votre toutou ! Les nuances de couleurs sont extraordinaires.
    Gros bisous ☼

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like it, but then again, I love all things cats and dogs... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Linda. And your blog is the highlight of my day - and my husband's!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Martine. Mistakes are human. It's good to just put them out there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, thanks, Kali. If I didn't put some stinkers out there, I wouldn't have much to blog about. And I like seeing other artists' stinkers - makes us all the more human, more of a community.

    ReplyDelete
  7. besides etching, I don't think I have much work that isn't cropped lol don't like a part of a drawing, out comes the paper cutter

    if your not happy with him, try different crops on what you have left, just use strips of paper to cover up what you might crop before you do. might find something on it you really like :)

    I think he is cute :) and like the colours you used

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I love him Chris!! The expression on his face is priceless...I think he knows how you feel about it:)I do what you mean though,I have a little hate session going on with the one I'm painting at the moment...and...I can't crop it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have made many "Streetscenes" from my stinkers! Just take the parts you like, and leave the rest. Sort of like life, right? It's great, Chris! I love his expression.

    ReplyDelete