Monday, October 19, 2015

Portland Open Studios


This was the final weekend of Portland Open Studios, so off we went into northeast Portland to visit the home studio of artist Shanon Playford.   Shanon is really prolific (there is art EVERYWHERE in her home),  and is a very gracious hostess.





 























 










 We left Shannon's and went to many more studios, but the visits I enjoyed the most were to the home studios of Annie Salness and Jo Reimer.

Annie Salness is an artist who suffered a horrible stroke five years ago.  She has had to relearn to talk and walk, and is now painting with her non-dominant left hand (and you should see how she's painting!).   We were treated to a great presentation by Annie in her work space.  You can find Annie's beautiful artwork on her blog:  anniesalness.blogspot.com.    You can read the heartwarming story her recovery here.  

From Annie's,  we went over to artist Jo Reimer's  house.  Jo's home / home studio is chockfull of incredible collage and textile pieces.  She also has some of the most beautiful art journals and sketchbooks I have ever seen.  I'm glad to have recently discovered her blog (joreimer.blogspot.com) because it is loaded with generous instruction and advice.


Shanon's open invitation

 
Although my camera died (hence no photos from Studio Salness or Studio Reimer) and I missed the party, it was a very inspiring day!


So that's it from me for now.  I'm back to a doing replacement batiks for the Lake Oswego show.

24 comments:

  1. It sounds like a great time, Chris, and your photos are lovely. Art everywhere indeed! So nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. Open Studios is my favorite time of the year.

      Delete
  2. Dear Chris how fun. So glad you shared this event. Am hopping over to visit the links you provided. Looks like I am sure to enjoy my visits. Have a super day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie. Hope you really enjoy the links.

      Delete
  3. Bonsoir chère amie,

    Une publication très riche en photos et en émotions...
    Comme je vous envie pour l'ensemble de toutes ces merveilleuses visites...
    J'aime beaucoup le travail de Annie. Je la connaissais bien avant son triste accident vasculaire. Elle était très talentueuse et l'est encore davantage. J'admire son courage et cette rage de vivre.
    Gros bisous ❀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martine. Yes, Annie was pretty well known before her stroke, and her work is so beautiful now. It was a great day meeting all of the artists.

      Delete
  4. Hello Chris,
    What a wonderful images of the Portland Open Studios.
    That must be a nice event to show all amazing work of arts. Very nice to get a look inside.

    Many greetings,
    Marco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marco. These events are really fun, and there are several neighborhood and nearby community versions of them, so there's always something to look forward to.

      Delete
  5. looks like a really nice house :D full of gorgeous art

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, but I think she needs a bigger house!

      Delete
  6. This look like a fabulous day! I follow Annie's work and love it... and what an inspiration too. Looking forward to seeing your next works with the new tjanting tool and other fun stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great day, Mary. And Annie's work looks even better in person. She had that pumpkin painting sitting on her easel. It absolutely glowed! I'm itching to try something serious with the new tjanting tool, but I can't get ahead of commissions and some replacement paintings. These are the kind of "problems" I don't mind having!

      Delete
  7. Ok. That does it. I'm moving to your neck of the woods! Thank you for sharing all of this, and of course for all your beautiful artwork (my elephant smiles at me every day!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you DO move here, Laurie! You would fit right in!!
      And my original "Mueller" makes me smile, too!

      Delete
  8. I LOVED this post and went off into wonderful new discoveries by clicking on the links....and forgot to get back to you.
    Thanks so MUCH for taking the considerable time to do this post. I was fabulous and APPRECIATED.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. I love everyone's studio tours posts for the same reason - wonderful new discoveries!

      Delete
  9. Oh my word, Chris, what a treat for the eyes! I particularly love the little table in Shanon Playford's kitchen which just looked like a happy space where she can enter the 'wardrobe' into her own special 'Narnia'! Thank you for taking us with you.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon. Shanon's whole house is a happy space. Wish I could have taken more photos. She is amazing!

      Delete
  10. Wow!! Thank you so much Chris for sharing these incredible snaps! How inspirational and wonderful! I so enjoyed looking at every one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Suzanne. Photos don't do Shanon's artwork justice - ditto for the artwork on Annie Salness' site and Jo Reimer's site.

      Delete
  11. Wonderful work of art! I love it. Inspirational. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not a dull moment on your blog Chris! great pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How wonderful! I love seeing other artists' work spaces!!!

    ReplyDelete