Tuesday, January 5, 2016

25 Themes for Artists to Explore in Paint (or What Shall I Paint Today?)

What do I paint today?  Sometimes it's like looking for something to eat when you don't really have a "taste" for anything.

What works for me is just getting started, so I pull out a list of themes or topics I have wanted to paint at one time or another.   Here are a few ideas from my journal:


At the Fair (state fair, art fair, country fair)
Ancient civilizations
Architecture
Arrivals - departures
Antique objects

Photo compliments of unsplash.com

Art Nouveau
Asian themes
Balance
Bells
Bird's eye views 
Books
 Bridges

Photo compliments of unsplash.com

Cafes
Celtic things
Chairs

Photo compliments of unsplash.com

Childhood memories
Children's literature
Clouds
Coffee time / tea time 

Photo compliments of unsplash.com



Controversial subjects
Dancers
Decades (50s, 60s, 70s)
Distortions
Doors 
Dreams

Photo compliments of unsplash.com

Well, I actually wrote 100  topics, but my husband started snoring while proofreading the post, so I figure 25 at a time would be good.    Warning: 25 more tomorrow.




14 comments:

  1. Oh I love this! SO true too - and the taste analogy is perfect. Thank you and HAPPY NEW YEAR to you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristin!
      And I love your beautiful, creative blog!!

      Delete
  2. Great post, Chris, and I love all the images, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Linda. You can find really great free images at https://unsplash.com/. Love their site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful images! It is difficult to choose what to paint on daily basis. Lately I've been painting what I see outside of the studio window. :) Still lifes are wonderful subjects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Unsplash is a great site for artists. Yes, it's nice to get some mileage out of the same topic or theme - seems to challenge creativity.

      Delete
  5. Hello Chris,
    Wonderful images. Shot 3 is really amazing.
    Nice story of your husband...haha..!!

    Many greetings,
    Marco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marco. There are some great photographs on unsplash - none like your stunning wildlife photos, though.

      Delete
  6. Hello Chris, stopping by, I always reciprocate when someone visits my blog. I love your posts, your paintings - I think you are an inspiring writer and artist - placing you in my sidebar, places to visit/other blogs of interest - so I can return regularly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pattie! I'm glad to have found your blog!!

      Delete
  7. Great post is right. Journals.....something so valuable and something I do not take enough time for completing. Many half started! I am looking forward to your post tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen! I have a few half started journals myself.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful ideas! Haha ... saved from sitting too long by a snoring husband! Looking forward to next post. (I have so many tabs up from the last idea post you had, it will take me some time to get thru!) Thanks Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First page of my sketchbook is usually full of ideas for drawings, posters or etchings :) helps to starts a blank sketchbook writing the ideas down and means I usually have some idea of what I should be doing :p

    ReplyDelete