Friday, February 24, 2017

Friday with Frida

  

  
                                      These are photos of Mexican painter Frida Khalo.                                         
                                         

After painting off and on for a few days this week,  I didn't produce anything I was crazy about, so I switched gears to experiment with photo transfers to use in mixed media artwork.

I've always liked Frida Khalo's face, so I cropped a photo of her (upper left) and printed it on a laser jet printer.

Using a plastic palette knife, the photocopy was covered in four coats of Omni Gel transfer medium (dry between coats).   It was then allowed to dry overnight.

In the morning, I soaked the gelled copy in a bowl of water for 20 minutes and gently rubbed the paper off of the back.


Parts of the image are translucent, so the transfer can be pasted on top of a colorful background if desired. 

The only problem with this particular transfer is that I made it a little too big for my art journal, so it will be put aside for future use - maybe I will make a smaller "tester" for the journal.

The image on the upper right is a practice piece for a photo booth style arrangement.  To make it a little more realistic, of course, I would have made the background identical each individual photo.   I don't have a paint program, but I could I could paint them with an acrylic next time.

And that's it for Friday.  Hope everyone has a safe, happy weekend!  




23 comments:

  1. neat effect :)

    if you need a paint program, GIMP is a good one that is free and not hard to learn how to use :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks, Jennifer!! That will make my life so much easier.

      Delete
  2. This is very cool, Chris! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. painter Frida Khalo .. She has been a gifted painter and her life as a woman.
    Through the film she has become even more famous in Germany.
    I'm curious what you'll make of this piece !!!
    Have a nice Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elke. I think she really was a gifted painter, too, and feel bad that she suffered with such crippling back pain.

      I enjoyed the film so much that when I think of Frida, I picture Salma Hayek in my mind. I think I'll watch it again to get some ideas on what to do with the photos. Thanks for the idea.

      Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Elke!!

      Delete
  4. Just awesome, dear Chris,
    Frida Kahlo is my favorite artist, a strong woman.
    Greetings Sadie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sadie. She was a wonderful artist & a very strong woman. I don't agree with all of Frida's views, but I love her life story & admire her greatly.

      Delete
  5. Oh yes Frida, such a fascinating face and the gel trasfer has worked great! I have not done it for a long time, but why are you covering 4 layers of gel medium? I hear this for the first time, will the results be better?
    Weekend greetings - Ulrike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ulrike!

      Our teacher said the transfer would be less likely to tear with 4 thin layers of gel medium. She said this had been her experience, so I followed her advice & I did not have any problems removing the paper. The teacher also said she got the best results when she allowed it to dry overnight.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have some really cool creative techniques, Chris. Can't wait to see what you will come up with for your Frida piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teri. I have no idea what to do with Frida - yet.

      Delete
  8. I love painting Frida, too! Such a uniquely beautiful face...I want to tell her story and keep her secrets as well while being true to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kali. And yes, I know what you mean...

      Delete
  9. That all sounded so interesting! Thanks for sharing, Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting technique, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judy. It's different for someone who has only painted before & it's a nice change.

      Delete
  11. Hello Chris,
    although I made some transfairs with different techniques I've never heard of that before.
    I just know the way to do the transfair directly on another page, not the way you did.
    I think I will give it a try. Thanks for showing this!
    And your Frida-Transfair looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Beo. And I noticed that photos with light colored areas work really well because those parts of the transfer become translucent, but the dark areas (like Frida's hair) come out opaque. Although it took a little time, I liked working with this particular gel. It goes on nice and thin with a plastic palette knife. Hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Chris - this is such an interesting process. I have never tried my hand at transfers. Love seeing yours. Take care and have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Chris, thanks for the technique . Always useful to know a little more and I sure love Frida!

    ReplyDelete