Monday, February 6, 2017

Monday, Monday



Julie - Watercolor / 7X5


A weekend filled with a little rain and a lot of art was just what the doctor ordered.

After finishing this small watercolor, I thought I would dive into art journaling.   It is something I've wanted to do for a long time.

Silhouettes are favorites of mine, so I started the journal with these.   I don't have stamps, stencils, modeling paste or many other supplies used by journalers (not yet),  but that is just an invitation to be more creative.


Journal Page - Gouache  /  7X10

After finishing the tree, I used my husband's hole punch to pop out a few circles from an old painting. The circles were then glued onto the page.


Journal Page - Gouache / 7X10

This page is pretty tame, but I wanted to do something serene.  For the word "Breathe," I printed out the word from a "picmonkey" font, trimmed it & covered it with a piece of 3M clear shipping and packing tape.  It was then plopped into a cup of water for about 15 minutes.  When removed from the water, the printer paper easily peeled off but the inked word remained on the tape.  Then the tape was placed onto the page.


Journal Page - Alcohol Ink & Gouache / 10X7

Since all of the journal pages are being individually covered with gesso prior to painting, I thought I would experiment on the image above with alcohol inks.  I ran out & picked up three bottles of ink:  red, yellow & blue.

The inks were splattered over the gessoed page.  When dry, I painted around the silhouette with the purple gouache.  The page was finished by a quick spotty rub off of the gouache in a couple of places around the silhouette.

Journaling is more fun than I thought it would be.  Hope to get into a routine of blogging twice a week and include some small paintings and journal pages.

Have a great week.  See you Thursday or Friday.




32 comments:

  1. Chris, I love your paintings and journal pages! Keep up the great work, I am really enjoying your posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! I'm still smiling after leaving your blog this morning!

      Delete
  2. Your journal pages are wonderful and more than that.
    Do you work in a book or on single pages?
    The portrait is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beo! I work in a Canson mixed media spiral book & cropped the images for the blog.

      Delete
  3. love the blue tree :D and your silhouette looks on fire :D

    besides maybe the modeling paste, I don't think all the other "fancy" journaling stuff is needed as long as a person is willing to use what ever in the house :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. You're probably right about the journalling stuff. I just like hoarding art / craft supplies...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Chris,
    This is great. Amazing paints. So wonderful how you done the first and last girl.
    So very impressive.

    Greetings, Marco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marco. Appreciate your comments.

      Delete
  6. It looks beautiful, I just love the last one , so colorful and creative! Your imagination is working non stop, Chris. ūüėä

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Helen. It's just plain fun.

      Delete
  7. Love love the tree and the red profile, and the techniques you described. Great stuff - look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patricia. Appreciate you taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful portrait, so expressive. Wonderful pages in your journal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol. You really inspired me during the challenge!

      Delete
  9. Chris this portrait is awesome. I love the muted colors which gives this a vintage feel. As for your journal pages- they ate divine. Will be looking forward to seeing more of them in the future. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie. Hope to see more of your beautiful watercolors!

      Delete
  10. Great post Chris. So informative..........you have no fences when it comes to art. It is very refreshing. And yes, the portrait is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Helen. Appreciate your lovely comments!

      Delete
  11. Your work is amazing Chris!!!!!! I absolutely LOVE Julie...she's painted SO beautifully..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very beautiful are all the pictures I like them so quiet and the color selection!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Chris, what stunning works of art. That first one left me speechless! Every time I see your artwork I think it's my favorite and the first one is definitely my new favorite {{smiles}}

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful post - I especially love the alcohol ink portrait. I think it is neat you are journaling - brings out the creative ideas, and very pleased to read you plan on blogging twice a week. You must be settling in just fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie. I am experiencing artwork supply sprawl here. Looking for a house everyday, but am thankful to have this one in the interim.

      Delete
  15. Bonjour chère Chris,
    De belles oeuvres... J'aime beaucoup la fra√ģcheur et le romantisme de votre premier portrait √† l'aquarelle.
    Les idées sont ingénieuses dans vos autres oeuvres... Les couleurs sont magnifiques. Celle de l'arbre est très intéressantes...

    Gros bisous à vous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonjour, Martine,
      Merci pour vos gentils commentaires. La petite fille a été peinte d'une référence vintage douce. J'aimais son regard.
      En espérant que vous aurez le temps de peindre ce week-end. Sinon, espérons que vos prochains jours sont remplis de beauté.

      Delete
  16. Great post Chris. Love the art journal pages, delicate yet from the heart.

    ReplyDelete