Monday, February 13, 2017

The Look

Gouache / 5X7


Tim and I visited friends in Montana several years ago, and decided to drive down to Yellowstone National Park.  We knew the park entrance was closed due to heavy snow, but decided we would enjoy the drive anyway.

Well, we got to the entrance.  And we also got a full appreciation of the size of some bison at the side of the road.  One in particular seemed bigger than our small rental car.  After he gave us "the look," this city girl put the car in reverse and headed north back to Bozeman.

When I asked my friend how fast a buffalo can move, she smiled and said, "Faster than you."  She also mentioned that more park visitors are injured in attacks by bison than wolves or bears...

. . . . . . .

Art Journal - 10X7

As far as art journaling goes, I've been experimenting with applying color to deli paper.   For this page, I used alcohol inks, but deli paper will accept watercolor, gouache and  acrylic, too.  

What I like about deli paper is that I can control the color and shapes (by tearing the deli paper and collaging it into the journal).  I also love the translucency of the paper.

I'm taking a short class on inks and deli paper this weekend at a local craft store and will write about it next week.  Hope to get a few more supplies (white markers, stencils, ..), too!


"Clarity" tape transfer removed / added arrow & heart in marker

Happy Valentine's Day


27 comments:

  1. Love your buffalo!
    And your journal page ist great!
    But: Why do you need more equipment?
    Why do YOU need stencils? I mean you ca´n
    paint everything you want by yourself!!
    Beo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I messed up my comment.
      I think I want stencils because I'm still lacking in imagination. This is so unlike anything I've done.
      But THANK YOU for the vote of confidence, Beo!

      Delete
  2. yeah they can move a lot quicker than you would think given their size. would love to see one in the wild rather than in zoos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, seeing him in the wild was definitely what made him scary. He was SO BIG. I didn't even feel safe in the car.
      It was awesome seeing hm like that!

      Delete
  3. I love the bison, Chris, and your photo journal is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, the look is intimidating.
    Like that fuzzy body.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is some "eye" beautiful! Love your Art Journal page. Really great textures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Chris,
    That bison is really amazing. You can do this very well.
    My compliments for these results.

    Best regards,
    Marco

    ReplyDelete
  7. The head, the bulk of the body and the eye.....you got it. Well done. And journaling can really ease that soul, can't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Helen. And yes, it really does ease the soul.

      Delete
  8. Wow and wow! Love it! And stencils can be so much fun. I've made a number of them myself...so they're one of a kind! And thank you for commenting on my blog. The peacock was so wonderful to create. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kali! I never thought to make a stencil myself...
      And it's easy to comment on your beautiful blog!

      Delete
  9. Hello Chris
    Fascinating pictures, which you show here, especially like me
    The bison. It always looks so easy with you, but you have
    simply the talent for it.
    A wonderful day and thank you for your lovely comments
    on my blog, I am always very happy.
    Greetings from Austria
    Sadie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Painting is just repetition, repetition, repetition.
    Appreciate your comments. Love your photographs!
    Thank you, Sadie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. BEAUTIFUL WORK Chris!! I love the colors on his fur...perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hilda! Appreciate it.

      Delete
    2. Just getting back to looking at blogs, and as usual, your last three have blown me away. But this bison. And the
      title.....so perfect! I'm
      Excited about a workshop I'm taking in march. Watercolor with gouache. (never worked with gouache). You're inspiring me, my friend!


      about a workshop I'm taking at the end of march. It's watercolor and guo

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Laurie! I'm excited for you taking the workshop. Hope to read about it on your blog.
      Gouache is different, but in a good way. And it's pretty forgiving (good if you're a bit rusty with watercolor).

      Delete